Who is Ten Digit Creations

Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:57 AM

We started out with Amber making jewelry as a hobby. She soon got me interested and I began to help her. We enjoyed this so much that we gave up television. Amber is the type that easily gets bored. We learned a great deal about jewelry making, but other things intrigued Amber, so she started researching candles. She fell in love with this scientific process. She spent countless hours reading and learning every thing she could about the process of making the perfect candle. I remember coming in from work to several burning candles. I didn't take the interest in the candles that she did, so I didn't really understand all this "testing". As I asked questions, I began to understand the in depth scientific nature of a candle. This was not as simple as I once thought, which was "just stick a wick in it and burn it". There is so much more that goes into a single candle; way beyond my expertise! The fragrance has to be added just right. There are hundreds of different wicks, which has to be tested with each fragrance and size of jar.

After many months of this testing and perfection, she was satisfied that she had a perfect product. I asked her what she was going to do next, since she gets bored so easily. She told me that she had found what she was interested in and was not looking for anything else. She began to give her candles to family and friends. The more she gave away, the more she was told that she should be selling them. She wrote this off for some time, then realized "hey, I do have a great product".

Now it was time to start researching how we were going to do this. She insisted that we must have a name for a business first. After several weeks of going back and forth for a name, she held her fingers up and said "Ten Digit Creations". I asked her why? She said everything we do is created with our ten digits/hands. I immediately agreed and gave her kudos for her ingenuity.

Being without funds to start a business, we had to decide how we were going to market the candles. We decided that we would market via Internet. We are both information hogs, so a researching we went again. We found this wonderful lady in Oklahoma, who runs designer218. Mandi is extremely helpful and provides a GREAT service. She host our website and helped us get it set up. I am fairly computer savvy, but not for websites and she was wonderful for a first timer.

After a few months I found out that finding a needle in a haystack was harder than I thought. Our website was one of millions and we were not getting noticed. I still find today that SEO(Search Engine Optimization) is the hardest thing we do. There are millions of techniques, which most of them do not work. Therefore, we had to find another venue to get her candles out. She has a great candle and no one knows about them. She found Etsy. We started our site there and was soon doing OK. We still weren't exactly happy about the sales, but were ecstatic that at least someone was seeing her candles.

One day, out of the blue, she said to me "you need to learn how to make soap". I blew it off and told her I didn't want to make soap. She stayed after me for a few weeks, so I started reading and researching. The more I read, the more I was intrigued with the process. I read and read and read, thank you Kathy Miller. This was something that I wanted to do, so I read more and more. Amber was my inspiration for in depth research. The first couple of batches I made didn't turn out so well. I continued to tweak and learn until I came up with a good bar of soap. After giving away bars of soap and getting very good feedback, I continued to tweak and learn. Trial and error is expensive! :) Seriously, it is an invaluable process! My soaps are naturally handmade. Each batch is poured and cut by hand, then put up to cure just right. They are very gentle and good to the skin! I use skin beneficial butters and oils, such as Olive, Shea, Cocoa, Lard. Yes, Lard. This is really a super beneficial oil to your bar of soap. It makes for a harder bar and conditions the skin, keeping it moist. Lard is a humectant, which draws moisture to the skin. Lard is the only oil I use, that knocks me out of the Vegan family, which is OK; that's how important I belive the oil is.

We are having the time of our lives. We are spending beautiful, valued, quality time with each other. We are providing, in our opinion, the best products! And, as an added bonus, we hope to make extra income in the future.

So, if you're looking for a candles (in all forms; tarts, wickless, tins, jars, etc.), Handmade Soaps and Body Butter, Incense, Warmer oils, Sink Fresheners, Body Mist, Room Sprays, Lip balms, and more, visit us at www.tdccandlesandbath.com

0 comments:

Clock

Pages

Our Newsletter




Subscribe to our mailing list


* indicates required






Email Format













About Us

My Photo
Ken Harper
Amber started the company by perfecting her candles and melts. The boss spoke and I started researching soap and bath products. I had no idea of the benefits of handmade! The more I read, the more I was intrigued with the overall process and benefits. We keep our products as natural and pure as possible. The waxes and oils were carefully chosen, so you get the very BEST. Our candles are hand poured, one at a time. Our soaps are specially formulated and poured batch by batch.
View my complete profile

Our Etsy Mini

Powered By Blogger
Fresh Blogger Templates